8.17.2018

God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn ~ REVIEW

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/God-Schooling-How-God-Intended-Children-to-Learn-by-Julie-Polanco.jpg 
I have been homeschooling for 12 years now and I still feel like I have so much to learn.  I still have days and weeks when I feel like I need to do more, be more and worry takes over my thoughts.  And then I have even longer periods of feeling like all is right in my little homeschooling world.  But, it's still a roller coaster ride that I have built up around myself and desperately try to tear it down every single year.  I have noticed the more tuned into my Faith and personal self care the better things are around here.  But, being human and all I fall back into old habits and worry creeps in.


When I opened up the new Julie Polanco book, God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn I wasn't sure what to expect.  It is a book that promotes a child led, unschooling approach.  Do we school this way?  Some ways we do, not totally...but I will say that I believe it works for some families, but it's not the only successful way to educate your children.  I think I looked at this book a different way.  I am not looking for someone to tell me how to educate my kids.  But, I do look for little nuggets of gold to help me better educate them.  And this book provided me with tons of those little nuggets.  Right out the gate I was hit with an overwhelming connection with her and felt like we could have went out for coffee and talked for days.  I felt like she had a bird's eye view into my life, my heart and could truly understand some of the struggles I face.  I was in tears when I was reminded of the Bible story of Martha and Mary with Jesus found in Luke.  I'm talking about page 9 of this book and I was already positive that this book came into my hands for a reason.  Reminder I am a special needs Mama, schooling Kaden is like taming a hurricane most days. :)

What I learned from this book was the importance of understanding why you are homeschooling.  Knowing what my true priorities are for my children.  And I have now accepted that I do know what is best for them.  I don't need an expensive program or multiple expensive programs to dictate how long we study, when we study or what we study.  This is huge for me because Kaden is learning at the beat of a different drum and it has always stressed me out.

Basically the book is divided into two parts.  The first part explains Julie's journey as she discovers what would work for her kids.  Throughout the book there are scripture references in support of unschooling, but because of my Bible studies I do not believe it is the one true way to school.  But, the author feels the Bible is pointing towards unschooling for her family.  Chapter 2 was packed with ideas on motivation and the truth behind achieving excellence.  Having a child with special needs makes the word excellence sometimes seem unobtainable.  After each chapter there is some review questions that I found helpful.  The list of ways she motivates her kiddos was a great bonus at the end of chapter 2.  I copied them and put them in my planner for a reference.  My favorite three was to inspire not requireAsk, I wonder why it does that?  And the last is to offer specific encouragement and not generalized praise.  Not bad little gold nuggets, right?


Part 1:  Dispelling Myths
Chapter 1:  Biblical Support for Natural Learning
Chapter 2:  Motivation and Excellence
 Part 2: Practice
Chapter 3:  Thoughts on Teaching Children Under Age Eight
Chapter 4:  Thoughts on Teaching Children Aged Eight to Twelve
Chapter 5:  Giving Teens the Wings to Fly
Chapter 6:  Spreading the Banquet
Chapter 7: Getting Started
Chapter 8:  Some Q&A
Chapter 9:  Record-Keeping and Structure

 
The second part of the book gives some great information on teaching kids at different stages.  Lots of explanation on appropriate learning and the importance of playing, being in nature and moving their bodies no matter the age.  She gave examples for different subjects and encouraged entrepreneurship with creativity, experiences and industrious activities.
One of my favorite chapters was chapter 5, having just graduated Mahala this last year.  She has wrestled with what to do now.  She has many endeavors that she wants to pursue, but feels the shame of not going to college.  I had her read this chapter and we both walked away with a sigh of relief.  We read two different examples of what to do after highschool.  About affording college and how to make it work if that's your path and also alternatives to going to college.  Mahala has so many endeavors going right now, why put them on hold to get a piece of paper.  I'm just speaking for our family at this moment and reading this specific chapter with her gave her confidence that she is making the right decision for her.  This chapter also gives you a layout of what's expected to graduate high school, how to make your own transcripts.  Since I already have one child in college already I knew most of this, but would have found this pretty helpful if Mahala was my oldest.

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Julie-Polanco-LOGO.jpg

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Author-Julie-Polanco.jpg 
So, what did I think?  I enjoyed reading this book and for inspiration I think it's wonderful.  Is unschooling the only way to teach your children?  No, I do not believe so....but, I also didn't hear that from this Mother's heart.  Was my eyes blinded, to read only what my heart needed to read?  Probably.....because that's how God works, he protects us and guides us toward truth.  And for me and my heart I needed to know I'm doing a great job at this homeschooling gig.  God comes first and then all the other stuff falls in behind him.  I was encouraged and inspired by Julie!  Make sure you Connect with her on Social Media today!
God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn {Julie Polanco Reviews}

 Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment