4.17.2018

Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology ~ REVIEW

I came to my computer this morning with a smile....why?  Because I knew I was going to tell you all about Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology from Apologia.  The past several weeks Kaden and I have been Reviewing this set of curriculum and just like every other thing I use from Apologia we completely love it.  
I know I have said this every single time about Apologia.  Why does it work so well for us?  I have to say I think it's because it's Christ centered for starters.  And also it's not complicated to use, it reads like your having a conversation...even in the older grades.  I can't tell you how many times Mahala has thanked me for using Apologia Sciences with her.  And Kaden will sit down with his Notebooking Journal and work independently and then narrate to me what he learned without me even asking. 

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Apologia-Anatomy-Family.jpg

So, let me show you what we received exactly with our Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology set.  
These two notebooking journals are amazing, I have tried the Junior version before with Kaden when he was a little younger.  But, I still use some of the activities as reinforcement after he completes a section.   The main differences between the two is that the Junior edition has a lot of coloring pages  which is perfect for when you are reading and need something to keep little hands busy.  I love that the pages are bold and simple, not over complicated with intricate designs or muddled pictures.  The lessons are very similar, just slightly less questions and less involved activities.  Both offer puzzles, vocabulary and copywork and several full color cut out mini books in the back, info flaps and activities for lapbooking that you attach to your journal.  


At the very back of both is a Personal Person Project that starts with Lesson 1 and continues through the whole course.  Kaden and I both were super excited to do this.  Each system and organs are beautifully printed on this transparent paper.  I suggest a parent to cut them out so it's not jagged or that the scissors don't cut right through the print.  Very cool project and sparked many conversations about his body, what's to come and how to protect it.  
The Notebooking Journal makes it easy to keep track of what you have learned with sections for notes, narrations, drawings and so much more.  I have kept my other kiddos notebooks from the past and they are so fun to go back through.  Another great feature I almost forgot to add is the helpful Lesson Plan available at the front of the Journal.  It's organized by weeks and then gives you every detail you need for working through the lessons just two days a week.  It's very simple to use and even gives you the text book and notebook pages needed for each day so you know exactly where to go during each lesson.






Some other Projects and activities we did was mummify an apple, yum delicious!  Made a sweet and tasty edible cell and constructed a skeleton clay and foil man with toothpicks.  We are looking forward to making our very own Digestion Theme Park later this week.  Overall I think the projects offered a great bridge between learning Science and actually doing Science.  I notice Kaden retained everything he learned and could complete the lessons in the workbook.  But, the conversations and the sparked ideas came while we were making and observing the projects and experiments that are hidden throughout the textbook and journals.  And this is just another reason why this curriculum works so well for our family.

The Text Book is beautiful with crisp sharp pictures that caught Kaden's attention at every turn.  I was amazed at everything that is taught, it truly is so well round and prepares your student for further Sciences.  This specific book I didn't get to do with my two older kiddos.  Kaden is so lucky to have a quality curriculum to use in the early stages of his education.  Kaden said his favorite thing about the Text Book was all the Try This! sections.  These provide extra experimentation and further learning on the current topic.  Sometimes he would just read them and not complete the task, but it gave him motivation to seek out his own discoveries in real life.  And it provided some great family night discussions at the dinner table.  Here is a Peek inside:

Lesson 1 - Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
Lesson 2 - The Skeletal System
Lesson 3 - The Muscular System
Lesson 4 - The Digestive and Renal Systems
Lesson 5 - Health and Nutrition
Lesson 6 - The Respiratory System
Lesson 7 - Life in The Blood
Lesson 8 - The Cardiovascular System
Lesson 9 - The Nervous and Endocrine Systems
Lesson 10- The Nervous System Extended
Lesson 11 - Your Senses
Lesson 12 - The Integumentary System
Lesson 13- The Lymphatic and Immune System
Lesson 14- Growth and Development


 
The MP3 Audio CD we did not use as much, only because I love Science so much and want to read along with him.  But, I did use it twice while I was gathering the materials needed for the edible cell and when I was at an appointment and he was at home with his Sister.  I do also plan on using this on our RV trips this Summer because he has requested to continue through the Summer.  This will be great for the drive and any other time I am not able to read with him.  He has no problem reading alone, but I find he retains more when his hands are busy with clay, fidgets or a puzzle while listening to me or the CD.  The CD is very simple to load and straightforward to use.  The readings are done by Jeannie Fulbright and are a wonderful addition for auditory learners are kiddos with any learning disability or special needs.  Sometimes Mama's voice just needs a day off to just listen and learn right along with the kiddos. :)

So, what did I think?  Well...we loved it and plan to really never use another Science curriculum.  Time and time again with all three of my kids including Kaden with Autism this Company has come through for us.  The Exploring Creation Series is magnificent.  They each are so special and created with the goal of teaching your kiddos the truths of Science and that means a lot to me.  I appreciate that Kaden can read or see a show on NatGeo and be able to stand up and say that's wrong and here is why.  I feel confident with this Series in what they believe and teach.

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/apologia-logo-1.png

Make sure you reach out and Connect with Apologia on Social Media today.

Apologia - Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment