10.01.2015

Middlebury Interactive Languages~ REVIEW

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/-2015%20CREW/Middlebury%20Interactive%20Languages%20LOGO_zpsspnst7mv.png
Middlebury Interactive Languages has given me their High School Spanish 1 course to use with Mahala.  We are so excited for this review.  We love learning new languages and lately Mahala has been on fire to learn Spanish.  Last March she went to Mexico on a Missions trip to build houses and she plans to go again this coming year too.  That said, she now has a passion to learn as much as possible so she can actually communicate with the Families she's building for.  This makes our review extra special because it was something we really needed and with so many different programs to pick from it's tricky.  We used Middlebury once before for German and we loved them, so we were ready to take another adventure with them and learn Spanish this time.



I'm hoping some of this Spanish rubs off onto me, so I can redeem myself.  Back in college I needed a foreign language and there was a Spanish class open at the perfect time between my other classes.  The teacher was amazing....I loved him.  We had themed lunches, outings as a class and the lectures were never boring.  The only problem was that I could never seem to pass the class.  I took it not once or twice, but threeeeeeeeee times. 
Close to the end of the 3rd semester my Spanish Teacher took me out to lunch and said that maybe I should give Spanish a rest.  He loved me in his class and could see I was trying, but knowing two languages is not for everyone.  I mean who has that said to them!  HAHAHAHAHA

Middlebury Interactive Languages provides online courses in Spanish, French, German and Chinese for your Kiddos in grades K-12, each designed by linguistic experts.  Their courses provide an interactive immersion-style learning experience.  I felt their way of teaching to be very refreshing and out of the "typical homeschool foreign language box". :)  This is the way to learn, you can learn this way 100x better then just getting bogged down with repetition.  By combining written words, pictures, audio and short videos you will find that the information gets plastered into the mind not just stored in the short term memory box.  I felt that the course was designed with the Kiddo in mind.  
The lessons are not overwhelmingly long and definitely not boring.  Each lesson is just over bite size, for us that's perfect.  Not too much or too little.  The Kindergarten - 2nd grade program has 35 lessons for each semester and the 3rd-5th grade program has 45 lessons per semester.  Both of the Middle school and High school courses  have 90 lessons for each semester.  

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/-2015%20CREW/HS_Spanish_1_zps7ww58rtl.png
Once you get your course you will find that since it's self paced your Kiddo will need to do one lesson a day for 18 weeks. Or they can finish early with a few extra lessons here and there. :) Mahala completed at least 1 lesson every day 3-4 days a week. The other 1-2 days she made flash cards and spent time researching on her own.  Her favorite part was the organization and the ability to figure the whole thing out on her own.  Independence is bliss at this age.  She also had fun recording all the audio.  Even Kaden gave it his Best to repeat the phrases along with her and he helped with her flash cards.  

We love it, I love it, I think it's an amazing program.  You know I am not good with set up online and this usually scares me away when it comes to online programs or curriculum.  But, this course couldn't have been any easier.  I was shocked, heck our whole family was shocked.  I had members of my family I hadn't seen in 10 years shocked at how easy I was able to start this program. :)  Once we were all set up it was as easy as click on the lesson for each day.  Mahala would finish it and a little green check mark would appear.  A major thing I appreciated with this program was all the extras.  It was exciting for Mahala to learn more about the culture and people.  It makes it come to life for a Kiddo of any age especially one who has a heart for the Spanish people. 
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/-2015%20CREW/f7dae340-e987-46f8-879d-450649f34ff2_zpsotayssya.png

So, will we continue using this program?  I'm not sure, Mahala LOVES it and is learning.  But, having other Kiddos coming up through the ranks it would be awesome to have it for the future if it was reusable.  Having to pay for the semester for only the one Kiddo may prove to be too costly for our family.  Mainly because due to the nature of our family dynamics we normally take breaks throughout the year.  So, one semester may not line up just right for us to use completely.  But, for the higher levels this may work, because they can work independently and take more responsibility for their own work.  I think the cost is pretty reasonable for the quality product Middlebury Interactive Languages has to offer, it's only $119.00 per Semester.

Stay up to date with Social Media for the latest info from Middlebury Interactive Languages!
 Crew Disclaimer
 Middlebury Interactive Languages Review

No comments:

Post a Comment