2.12.2015

Panini for Me


I am not the most Organized Homeschooling Momma, I know you already know that.  And I don't know what happens to time during the hours of 9am and 1pm.  But, we seem to get caught up in some time warp thingy.  Almost every single day one minute we are cleaning up from breakfast and then the next we are all starving and wondering how is it possible almost 1pm.
So, with all that time traveling going on the Kiddos and I are starving....not to mention that the Hubby comes home every day for lunch too.  The sound of the garage door going up is usually what snaps us back into reality.  Then I run to the kitchen trying to think about what's in the fridge from last night.  And how can I take what's in the pantry and whip up something tasty and not B-O-R-I-N-G!!!
The other day the garage door started going up and I was thankfully at least in the kitchen so that bought me like 3 extra minutes of planning!  :) I decided to make a Panini!
I grabbed:
Fresh French loaves of bread from the pantry
In the fridge I snagged mayo, Dijon, sprouts, lettuce, cheese, butter, shaved ham and pastrami
Out on the counter I had cucumbers, scallions and tomatoes
In my spice cabinet I pulled out sea salt, pepper and garlic powder

**In a small pan I quickly sauteed the scallions that I sliced long ways.  (I like this way for sandwiches)  As soon as there is color on the onions I turn the heat off, and ass a good hand full of sprouts to the pan with a shake of salt and pepper.
**After I get that out I throw the meat in just to warm it up a little so it will melt the cheese better.  Just a little heat goes a long way!
**During all this, I have Mahala help slice the brad and squirt on the layer of Dijon and mayo.  Kids love to help....let them!! 
**I turn my panini grill on or on days I don't want to get that big thing out I just use a regular pan on the stove.  It just wont have the cool groves! :(
**I thinly slice my peeled cucumbers and wash my lettuce and tomatoes.  I also slice my tomatoes too.
**Layer however you want.  Some of my kids like lettuce some don't, I have one screaming for no scallions and one wanting extra.  So, I love that the sandwich can be customized to their liking.  I usually will have the older ones build theirs after I get Kaden's and Hubby's finished.  
**I like to use butter, I know some people like olive oil.  I butter the grill and place the sandwich down.  Then I rub butter on the top of the sandwich and sprinkle garlic powder and sea salt on the top.  Lastly I lower the top grill plate down and the sizzle sizzle begins.  It smells Heavenly!!!!

I serve this by itself, along with last night's salad, chips, fresh fruit or fresh veggie sticks.  It may sound like a long process, but I promise you from start to finish I get 5 sandwiches done and on the table in 15-20 minutes.  To make it even faster, just plan and be prepared.  All the cutting can be done earlier on and honestly you could even build the sandwiches the night before and then at lunch time get them out and press them.
Give it a try, panini sandwiches are so fun to make and even more fun to eat.  The crispy bread and warm goodness inside is worth it.  Let me know what your favorite sandwich is?

No comments:

Post a Comment