4.21.2018

Daughter in Retrograde ~ REVIEW

Courtney Kersten’s memoir Daughter in Retrograde explores her relationship with her Mom.  She was from a rural Wisconsin town and like most preteen girls, she wanted to understand the meaning of life....her life and predicting the future wouldn't be too shabby.  On her quest for deep understanding she discovered the New Age world.  I could totally relate, I was introduced to Astrology around that same age.  Reading when young Kersten went to the book store and bought her first set of taro cards was very reminiscent to me.  When she got home with them I think they proved to be a tiny bit confusing and overwhelming for such a young child and she went and hid them in her Mom's closet.  The study of Astrology felt natural to her and the pull to always go back to it was strong.

Kersten and her Mom Victoria had a bond, a spiritual connection.  Victoria was a vibrant character, you could feel her presence before she even walked into a room.  Sunbathing in the yard in outrageous bathing suits while Kersten seemed more introverted, but they both had interest in the stars. 
When Victoria received a diagnosis of terminal cancer it was devastating.  The diagnosis came a few years after a fortune teller at a bar had predicted Victoria's death in five years.  Kersten searched desperately for signs that would help make sense of her Mom's impending passing.  While reading the last few moments before she lost her Mom I held my breath, it was like I was there with them.  I cried, living through the death of my own parents as a young child I remember those last moments and the long moments afterwards.  This book was beautifully written, I could hardly put it down to make dinner.  The Mother-Daughter bond is spiritual and the ending of the book is magical and unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment