3.15.2011

Which came First......

We are studying the Ancients right now.  There is a lot to learn from the people of long ago.  Listen at me, I can almost hear the harps playing in the back ground.
I wish I could tell you that we have a strict curriculum that we follow, but then I would be telling you a lie.  And we all know President Abe himself could not do it, so I shall not as well.  That is a whole other era in History, let's get back to the Ancients.
I hated History, I couldn't tell you who came first Columbus or Ponce de Leon.  But, I wanted a different experience for my kids.  Our kids are a lot like us, so I have a good feel on what may bore them and how to keep their interest long enough so they can get the most out of what I'm trying to teach them. I have used different curriculums and I decided about a month ago that I am going to start from the beginning of time and move forward.  We are using DK's Definitive Visual Guide and this amazing and HUGE timeline in a book form.  We use netflix, Internet sites and the library for extra sources.  It's been great, I feel the kids have learned more in the past few months then in the last 2 years as far as History goes. 
We read, take dictation, watch a documentary, discuss, highlight important people with a short biography and throw cooking or a craft in where we can.  I just feel like it's rounded out.  At least for our family it works.
So we finished the Roman and Greek times. The craft was to complete an art piece.  They made Mosaic tiles from construction paper.  Here are their finished pieces.
He was so proud of his art!!!!
Mahala being the overachiever did two pieces!


Skylar took the longest....he used a ruler and cut each tile separately to fit each spot.  He takes his time and does it right the first time.  He is not as fly by the seat of your pants like Mom & Mahala.  He made this for Mahala, she loves Yoshi!!!
So, there you have it folks.  We have now moved onto the Ancient Chinese.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment