7.11.2018

Math Refresher for Adults~ REVIEW

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Math-Refresher-for-Adults.jpg 
Who has a Math phobia or has forgotten everything you learned in high school Math class?  I do!!! :)  Are you returning to work, enrolling in college or you just want to help your kiddos with their Math homework?  The list goes on and on of great reasons to polish up on your Math skills.  I have always had a Math fear, it is legit, my hearing goes, my head gets fuzzy and I start sweating just turning on a Math tutorial video.  I have problems, I know..... but recently I've been embracing the scary and trying to put my Math blues behind me.  I have been using the Math Refresher for Adults from  Math Essentials and written by Richard W. Fisher.


The soft cover book is consumable and designed for adults who need to brush up on their Math skills.  What I love is that the lessons are super short, so you can spend as little or as much time as you have to work through the book.  The lessons start out fairly simple, around the range of about the 4th grade level and goes all the way to Algebra I.  

Here is a list of things covered:
  • Whole numbers
  • Fractions
  • Decimals
  • Percents
  • Geometry
  • Integers
  • Charts
  • Word Problems
  • Pre-Algebra and Algebra
I love that the lessons are clear and consistent.   Each lesson has a review exercise section with a few problems along with a very brief explanation on how to do the following 10 or so problems.  There is a spot for notes and some helpful hints.  You can write right in the book or copy everything over in a notebook.  I decided to write in the book.  At the bottom is always a word problem of some sort.  It's funny, those are my favorite thing to do in each lesson.  It's like the fortune cookie at the end of a meal. :)


So far I have been doing decent and understanding the work, but I know I will come to a point when I will go deaf, sweat and blind.  Luckily there are videos for each of the lessons that you can watch on their website.  You do have to do a little searching through several topics to find what you need, but it's worth it.  The videos are no more then 8-10 minutes, simple, easy to understand, not fancy, but decent quality to get the job done.  I could see where Kaden who has Autism and sensory issues would find these videos extremely pleasant and helpful. 

The answers are in the back of the book along with a Glossary and Symbols page. I did skip around a little bit, but I truly want to go in order.  There is so much I don't know about Math, I never took a Math class in High School so I am thrilled to be able to have this in my little hands.  Even though this is meant for adults I think it would be a nice supplement for older kids, even ours with special needs.  I'm definitely going to be looking at other Math books from Math Essentials that I can use with Kaden now while I finish this book.  If you or someone you know needs help brushing up on their Math or wants to just continue learning and building that brain muscle this is for them.  Most of the time I do a lesson before bed or right after dinner instead of watching tv or scrolling on my phone. 
http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Math-Essentials-Logo.jpg
 Make sure you Connect with Math Essentials on Facebook.
 
Crew Disclaimer
Math Refresher for Adults {Math Essentials}

No comments:

Post a Comment