11.06.2017

A Plain Leaving (The Sisters of Lancaster) ~ REVIEW


I have said in the past that I have never read an Amish inspired book, yet here I am reviewing a 2nd one this year and I'm not hating it one bit.  This next book is the first of a new series called A Plain Leaving (The Sisters of Lancaster).  This book is written by Leslie Gould and from what I can see, she is an amazing author.  I have heard many times that Amish Fiction is the same old story over and over.  But, from what I can tell in this book and in a few of her past writings this simply is not the case.


I know you can look up the basic information on this book, so I'm not going to give you the same generic summary.  What I would like to do is tell you why this Amish Fiction is not your everyday rewritten story.  This book holds a story within the story, mixing in a little Historical Fiction.  You see a young Amish girl that has left the community deal with fatal news and deal with dreaded circumstances.  It's not all gum drops and lollipops here.  The story surrounding Jessica is revealed in a fast paced way and filled with twists and turns as you learn about her deep family history. 

One thing I appreciated about the writing is that the characters don't just flop out the laundry they reveal it to you and capture your attention with each new detail.  It just keeps you turning the pages for just a little bit more late into the night.  This book has a lot going on, I have read a few books in the past that have a story within a story and this one is so interesting because of the Historical aspect.  Jessica learns about a family member, Ruby from her Aunt.  Jessica and Ruby, though separated by many many years and never knowing each other have a lot in common.  I was in tears at times, anxious at others, but the whole time I was totally into the story, I felt like Jessica was talking with me. 

If you are looking for a read this winter to snuggle up to a cup of coffee or cocoa...here you go, you are welcome.  And if you have tossed Amish Fiction to the side, give this one a last chance...you too will be thanking me!  
*I'm thrilled Bethany House was so kind enough to share this book with me and for that I get to give you my honest opinion and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment