7.25.2018

Love, Honor, and Virtue: Gaining or Regaining a Biblical Attitude Toward Sexuality~ REVIEW

http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Book-Love-Honor-and-virtue.pngEvery now and then I get to review something that I truly need.  This particular review I have for you today was a prayer answered.  I have always admired Hal and Melanie Young from afar and dearly enjoyed their book, Raising Real Men.  My oldest son is now married and my daughter is 18 and looking towards college.  Which leaves me to my last kiddo, Kaden who is 11 and on the Autism Spectrum.  Life with him is all kinds of different, but we still need to talk, teach and lead him through many of the same things we did with the older two.  But, this time we need help and guidance.  The things we worry about today with Kaden I didn't have to worry about with my oldest son.  With all this to say I am beyond thrilled to have the chance to review Love, Honor, and Virtue: Gaining or Regaining a Biblical Attitude Toward Sexuality from Great Waters Press.


This book is geared for boys that are 12-20's, but obviously I was the sole reader and highlighter. :)  We are a healing family from the destruction of sexual sin.  We know the consequences and devastation.  I want to make sure my young son is informed and armed with all of God's protection.  This book offers a Biblical perspective, straight forward applications and honest answers to some pretty tough questions.  Kaden is extremely literal and has a hard time connecting emotionally and socially. He may be in the middle of puberty right now, but mentally he is nowhere there.  Hal and Melanie, I'm all yours!!
I have to say that on the very first page I was comforted by what I'm deeming as a sign from God.  "you have to fight the war you have, not the war you want to have".  And with that I sighed and took out my highlighter.  The book was really short, I was able to read in just a few days.  It's filled with practical ways to resist sexual temptations and how to reach out for help if you find yourself there.  I especially loved the thoughtfulness in the portion about the act of marriage.  The authors acknowledged that this section may be a temptation for some and you can skip it for a better time or read in a public place for accountability. 
Here is a list of the chapters include:


  • Sex Was God's Idea
  • It's All Connected
  • The Enemy Perverts God's Design
  • How Can a Young Man Keep His Way Pure?
  • Recovering From a Fall
  • Guys and Girls
There is also a great intro,  To The Young Men On The Battlefield.  And a conclusion section, The Road Ahead.   The first few chapters I could totally see sharing these with Kaden in the near future.  It is laid out so beautifully, I literally had tears reading the true design of a marriage and the roles Husband and Wife have.  Having a literal child I was thankful for the straight talk, the scripture references and footnotes.  I also liked having a summary at the end of each chapter that highlighted the main points.  There is plenty of open space there too that I plan to take notes of any questions Kaden may have.
So, what did I think?  Would I recommend this book?  First of all please get this book if you have a tween or older son.  I plan to get one for my married son because sexual sin is all around, it doesn't discriminate, just destroys.  I think the Bible hold straightforward answers as to what marriage is supposed to be, between a man and a woman.  But society has taken things into their own hands and has desensitized our youth.  In the book it gives me many references from the Bible to cast light on all these shady practices that are out there today.  The practical way to resist temptation when you are faced with it was interesting and easy to remember.  It's called the Five Point Defense, where you are advised to leave the situation, pray, read scripture, sing to the Lord, and go to their authorities for accountability.  I also loved how it teaches how to have a relationship with a girl as friends before marriage.  How to have respect for her and her safety.  This has been such a helpful book to me, showing me the emotional, physical and mental changes going on right now with Kaden who is silent about them all.  But, now I feel I understand a little more about what he is going through and I feel better equipped to handle some serious conversations we need to start having very soon.
http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/Raising-Real-Men.jpg
Make sure you Connect with Great Waters Press on Social Media today.
Facebook  @raisingrealmen
                Facebook  @halandmelanie
 Hey, I also was able to Review another awesome book from Great Waters Press called, No Longer Little: Parenting Tweens with Grace and Hope.  Read the Review HERE!
Love, Honor, and Virtue  AND No Longer Little {Great Waters Press Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment