8.19.2017

Yumminess in a snap!

More then not I have the 5'oclock WHAT!!!!  Almost every single night this happens during the week.  Luckily I usually have a plan for meals, but there are those days when all goes down hill from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning.  On those days I heavily rely on my pantry and my old faithful proteins and veggies that I always keep on hand.

Here is chicken with different bell peppers

So, last night was one of those crazy days and it was almost 6 pm with not even the kitchen light on.  I opened the fridge and thank you Lord I had left over rice from a previous meal.  I always cook extra rice when I make a rice dish for this purpose.  I grabbed left over tri-tip, celery, onions and decided to use egg white instead of the whole egg and made a yummy fried rice!  Normally I use whole eggs, but since we had already had this protein the night before I wanted to kind of make it a little lighter.  I also use tons of different veggies....from carrots and Brussels sprouts to broccoli, squashes, kale, mushrooms...honestly you name it we have ate it in our fried rice.  That's why I love making it.  Proteins we have used besides beef is pork, chicken, shrimp and we even leave it out all together and just make it all veg.

This one has asparagus, sausage, brussels & on & on
To make I always cut up the veggies and toss them in the wok with a little sesame oil and garlic cloves.  If meat is raw I will add it next once the veggies are "al dente".  If the meat is cooked then I just add the cold already cooked rice to the wok with the veggies along with a little water, ginger powder or 5 spice.  Once all the clumps are out of the rice and it is totally heated up and mixed in with the veggies I add soy sauce to taste along with a drop of oil in the middle of the pan.  All the rice and veg is pushed to the sides of the wok.  I pour the eggs in the middle and scramble them up while adding a good dash of pepper.  Once they are almost finished scrambled I give it a quick stir into the rice and then add the chopped leftover meat.  The meat is already cooked so this is important to add last so you don't dry out the meat.  If I have fresh scallions and cilantro I chop up and add at the very end.
All together...this meal start to finish is about 20 minutes with cooked meat, maybe add another 5-10 if the meat is uncooked.  What are your fast go to meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment