7.11.2017

Home School in the Woods ~ REVIEW

 
I have a New Review for you today!!!  This one I'm super excited to share, not just because I LOVE everything I ever use from Home School in the Woods, but because I get to also reminisce about our huge RV trip we took last summer.  Because this time I get to Review their Make-A-State Activity that's apart of their Activity-Paks Series.  I know, I'm super lucky and I'm grateful to be able to share it with all of you.




more_travel_imgSo, down to business....the Make-A-State Activity is a Supplement to be used along with what ever curriculum you have chosen. 
  
For us I am using this along with a few websites and books to enhance research of each state.  And I have some other fun activities as we go along that I'm adding as well.  Make-A-State Activity came as a convenient Zip File.  It's truly like Christmas to me when I get a Zip file from Home School in the Woods.  Why, you ask?  Because I am awful on a computer and I like having everything I need in one easy to understand package.  I appreciate how organized everything comes.  Inside you find everything you need for lap booking each State along with many projects and activities.  


Like I said we decided to go back through and work through our trip last year.  We went through 25 States and we learned so much while on the trip, but now was our time to learn even more and have a keepsake.  Obviously we started with California first, so that is what I will share with you today.   Kaden likes keeping Lap Books in a notebook and not a folder.  First I unzipped the file and looked through everything.  I decided to print out all of the State Fact Sheets that we would be using along with favoriting some of the suggested websites for further research on my computer.  Then I started printing out everything I would need to complete all the pages, projects and activities for our 1st state.... California.  I didn't print the directions, we just pulled them up on the computer and used them as we worked.  Kaden and I both cut everything out, he needs help because his motor skills are a little delayed.  You will see there is also minimal coloring and I have helped with some of the writing.  Kaden likes hands on projects, but doesn't see the use in coloring everything, or really anything at all.   But, that's how he is and this is his book, so we compromise and added a little color here and there.  


You will find that there is a ton of things to cut out and put together.  You can do it all at once and put it in a baggie or do it a few activities at a time.  Do what works for you.  For us, I printed out everything at once and then had him work on the easier cut outs while I did the others.  We ended up completing a page a day, which was usually 2-3 projects or so.  One of them was a state recipe box.... the cutest thing ever.  You open it up and there is a recipe card for..... FISH TACOS!  So, we made Fish Tacos!!!!
Kaden really enjoyed learning about all the State symbols....his favorite to learn and research was the State gem and mineral, which is Benitoite and Gold.  Also finding out one of his favorite birds the Quail is the State bird. Kaden even got his sister involved in looking through our boxes and boxes of gems, minerals and rocks looking for Benitoite. 
 
















 
Also included is the Name that State Game, we have not had a chance to play it yet.  We have everything printed we are wanting to laminate the pieces so we can take it out and about with us.  Looks really fun and just another way to make learning fun and memorable.
And that is truly what I love about everything I've Reviewed in the past from Home School in the Woods.  Quality products that make learning memorable and fun.  Simple to use and to get started.  You just need a printer, scissors, glue or even tape along with a few file folders or a notebook/composition book like us.  If you are looking for Hands on projects and activities for History my friend....you have hit the jackpot with anything you get from Home School in the Woods.... in my honest opinion.  We have had to go slower and make changes here and there, but Kaden and Mahala both love all of their notebooks we have done in the past, you can check that out too.   Mahala worked through the HISTORY Through the Ages Hands-on History Lap-Pak: U.S. Elections.  Kaden is still working through the
HISTORY Through the Ages Project Passport World History Study: Renaissance and Reformation and loves it.  A few years ago we also tried
Project Passport World History Study: The Middle Ages with Kaden, he struggled more back then, but since this last go at Lap Booking has gone so much batter I am going to go back through this a pick up spots we left out when we revisit the Middle Ages in the Fall.  
Another real neat thing they are doing now is offering projects A-la-CarteThey currently have about 50 projects available, and there are tons more they are considering for the future.  Exciting News.... because it's the 200th anniversary of the beginning of the Erie Canal this week..... you can use the code alacarte at checkout to get the Erie Canal project on that page for Free.  Make sure you go and Connect with Home School in the Woods on Social Media today!
Crew DisclaimerHands-on History {Home School in the Woods Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment