7.25.2014

Flourish: Balance for Homeschool Moms~ Review

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/2014TOSCREW/Flourish/Flourish-cover-tn_zps5dd5b588.jpg

I LOVE Books and Trying to get my Life more together then it already is.  So, I was thrilled to be chosen to Review Mary Jo Tate's latest book, Flourish: Balance for Homeschool Moms from the Amazing Apologia Educational Ministries.  Even though this Book is for us Moms, I had my Teenage Daughter read it also.  She will have a Family one day herself, so I figured she would get something out of it too.  She found many Gems throughout this book.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/2014TOSCREW/Apologia%20What%20On%20Earth/apologialogo_zpsb033acf0.png 
I know I've said this a Million times, but I truly feel Blessed whenever I purchase or receive anything from Apologia Educational Ministries.  Our Homeschool day wouldn't be complete without so many of their amazing curriculum and products.  They are a well-known, trustworthy Company that provides us homeschooling families Amazing, Quality Materials.  


This particular book is Only $15 and is just right for any Mom out there!  If your New to Homeschooling you will find Sanity, Peace and a Plan.  If your a Veteran Homeschooling Mom you will find your path back to your Reason and Balance again or for the 1st time.  Even if you aren't a Homeschooling Mom this book will quench your thirst for connecting dots in your life that you haven't been able to do on your own.  Here is a little of my experience....


With today's lifestyle I think we all can use a little more organization and balance in our lives.  Our Businesses, Kid's activities, Family and Social commitments.  Families that have decided to Homeschool have a whole other reason to get a little more organized....to keep some form of our Sanity.  This is where Mary Jo's book comes into the equation, Balance is the key word here.

I wish I could say that I'm Super Organized and that I'm Cool, Calm and Collected.  But, that would be a Big lie! :)  I'm just the opposite, I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl.  I procrastinate and rely on my not so young anymore brain to keep appointments and due dates.  So, why would I even consider reading a book like this for a Review?  Because I know deep in my heart that I can't continue living the way I do and be a Happy, Healthy, God Loving Mother and Wife.  I just can't continue to burn the candle from both ends....I need Balance.  Something needs to give and I can't let go of my 3 precious Kiddos.  So, giving this book a good read and some serious thought into it is the way I need to go.

I decided to start reading on a Saturday, that way I could start working the system right away.  I knew I would probably need to buy tons of labels, planners, notebooks, you know the usuals.  Heck, I even thought this time I would get one of those label makers too. :)  I was armed with a Serious handful of highlighters and was ready to take this journey.  Chapter 1 I was given a list of Challenges that I may or may not have encountered in my life.  Wow, so many where taken from a page of my own story.  And then I read Mary Jo's story, I could relate with her on so many levels.  Between the scripture and inspirational quotes I knew that this wasn't about putting together an amazing datebook or labeling everything in your house.  This book was about putting your life as a priority, not just something you add to a list and the scratch off. 

I wish I could grab a cup of tea with you right now and tell you everything I just learned about myself and the art of finding Balance, but I can't.  This is an amazing experience that all women should take for themselves.  Quickly here are the Chapters in her Book.
  1. An Invitation to Flourish
  2. Change Your Mind to Change Your Time
  3. The FREEDOM Toolbox
  4. Where Did My Time Go?
  5. Aim High: Setting Goals
  6. What Do I Do Next? Seven Essential Planning Tools
  7. We Interrupt This Program
  8. It’s Time for an Attitude Adjustment
  9. Oxygen Masks and Monkey Bread Days
  10. Training Your Children
  11. Making Memories
  12. Managing Your Home
  13. All of Life is Learning
  14. Solo Act: Flourishing as a Single Mom
  15. Home Business
  16. Moving Ahead
Here are a few things Gems that I have Applied to my Life!
~  We are talking about a movement toward Life Management, not Time Management
(This was Big for me, I had it all wrong) 
~ Mary Jo recommends you log your time spent in 30 minute increments for at least a week
(I did this and Mahala...very eye opening.  I will just say there were tears of realization from my Daughter that I know has changed her life)
~Goal Setting
(Not just life long goals, but daily, weekly, monthly, yearly)
~ 7 essential planning tools to help you get more organized
(This is a Secret....you have to get the book to get these....Life Changing!!!)
~Adjusting your Attitude!
(My Teen was truly Inspired by this chapter and I was too)
~Proper Nutrition and Exercise
( We all need this....I guess ;) )
~Training your Child
(Very Surprised at this chapter.  I loved how she dives into Responsibility, Kiddos taking Initiative and being Independent.  I would have bought the book just for this Chapter!)
~Having Family time be a priority
( We are Good with this already, but to hear it done another way and with such commitment is Inspiring)
~Tons of Amazing tips on Chores and Organization
(It was like Christmas....we had a Family Meeting right after I finished Reading so that we could all discus some of my Favorites.  A Huge this that I walked away with was the fact that we needed a Routine not a Schedule.  This has changed my homeschool approach!)
~Chapters regarding Homeschool Moms, Single Moms and those of us out there with Home Based Businesses.

At the end of each Chapter is a Take Action Section that gives you a little Homework/Challenge.  Honestly this was my Favorite part, along with the wonderful way it felt like Mary Jo was speaking just to me....thank you Mary Jo! :)  I appreciated all the Charts, Lists and Resources she has included in the back.  She also gave plenty of Samples of her own personal routines and lists.  This was helpful to see how she incorporated her ideas to her own life.  I was truly Encouraged and Inspired by this book, I know of a a few Friends that I will be sending a copy to.  Order your own copy today I know you will be just as Blessed by it as I have.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TOSCrew2011/2014TOSCREW/Flourish/Mary-Jo-Tate-speaking-tn_zps4a400b13.jpg 
Mary Jo Tate is an Author, Book Coach, Editor, and Single Mom to 4 boys.  She's written a few other books... How Do You Do It All?Get Started as a Freelance Editor, and Critical Companion to F. Scott Fitzgerald. As if that's not enough, she is also a Host of the Flourish At Home show on the Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network. (My Favorite Place to Relax and be Inspired!) 



Head on over right now and Connect with Mary Jo Tate today on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FlourishAtHome  and Twitter: https://twitter.com/maryjotate

 Crew Disclaimer
Click to read Crew Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment